To the girls:
"It is nearly 10 am on Saturday morning and it is cool and brilliantly sunny like a July morning in Minnesota. The time of the small rains has ended after coming early and leaving early. Addis is scrubbed and bright and beautiful. We will be home in 17 days and this great adventure will have ended. Perhaps someday you will also experience the wonders of travel. I am reminded of an aphorism I heard somewhere, "Travel broadens the mind and loosen the bowels". If this has no meaning to you read my blog entry Blasts.
I dream and think about being with you and shooting baskets, playing softball, fishing, camping and biking. Then I have doubts. Have you grown too old to enjoy these things with an old man? I hope there are a couple of years left when I can still be part of your fun. Tell your Dad to check my email account to see the confirmation of our BWCA trip which begins on July 18 and ends whenever we want it to.
I sent the letters from the kids here home with Alexia and she will mail them from Charlotte, NC. The 1st and 2nd grade letters were sent to Teresa. The 3rd grade I sent to your mom. Massy, You might want to ask Teresa for one set of first grade letters for your KG class.
I want you to check every day now that spring is coming to see if the 2 swans I saw on the ice last year have returned. I also want Hanna and Harper to read the following books : Julie of the Wolves, Sounder, Dog Song and Hatchet. I have shared these books with 3rd and 4th graders here in Addis and they loved them. They are about the adventures of kids in the wilderness and about enduring tough times. I really enjoyed rereading them and would like to talk to you guys about them.
Well, it's time for me to go. I am really anxious to get home and see you guys. I have a new card game to teach you.
Boppa"
Explanation from Sherry: Boppa saw two "swans" on our pond last spring. Upon closer inspection, they were actually two white 5 gallon buckets. We haven't stopped teasing him....
Saturday, March 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Addis Ababa Time
Your parents are really missing your daughters and that is so sweet. I love how your Dad has book recommedations for the girls, also that he has a new card game to show them. Sher~ do you realize how lucky you are to have such involved grandparents? They are awesome.
ReplyDelete