Saturday, March 13, 2010

Nana - Friday, 3/12/10

"Can't remember all of my last update but things remain busy. Our last roommate, Alexia, left last night and now it is down to Megan, dad and me. I took dad to work with me in the community yesterday and I think he really enjoyed visiting the homes and seeing what I do. The first place we went is a one room, very poor dwelling with 2 boys home while their mother works as a brick layer's assistant. The older is 5 and he takes care of his 2 year old little brother. The size of their home is smaller than the inside of my car. On previous visits I brought him books and colors and yesterday he proudly displayed them to show how well he has kept them. We took some pics and will send them with the next group. Next we went to visit a young girl with a 4-month old and the situation is basically the same. Hiking all over the community we visited the leper colony which is along side the city dump. I was not feeling too well yesterday so I started Cipro again and already today I am better. Last night we were invited out to dinner at Jo's home. I don't know it you remember that name but she is from the US and employed at CHS here in Addis. We had a lovely time and her maid cooked us an American meal of barbecue chicken. It was great!!!

Today I had lunch with a doctor that works with the organization and a visiting psychiatrist and it was most informative. I will explain the purpose of our meeting when I return. I have calls into both Fish and Ketema but neither have answered back. Ketema is trying to set up another visit with Tekle but we have not heard back. Ketema is very conscientious so I assume he is having trouble contacting Tekle. And I don't know about Fish we talked with him once and have tried several times both by phone and email but he has yet to answer. I keep waiting to contact Shambel hoping to get these others dates confirmed to avoid any conflicts. Tonight we were to have dinner with some teachers that dad works with but they canceled so we may just go out ourselves since we already told our cook she could have the night off. We need to sign up for meals by the week with her so she can plan meals and groceries. I miss cooking but I am awfully spoiled having both a maid and a cook. It takes 3 women just to do meals, laundry, etc.

running out of power, tell Harper to be good and give my love to nini. Love nana"


Explanation from Sherry: Harper has been a pill lately!

1 comment:

  1. These posts are SO interesting. I am saddened by the very young "older" siblings taking care of even younger sibs. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete