Thursday, January 28, 2010

Karen's Update

"Hello to All,

Sorry I have been so neglectful about updates. It's hard to believe we've been here for two weeks and then again I feel like I've been here forever. I have worked at the orphanages, the office and have been reviewing DVD's that are the children's life stories. Everyday I walk to work with children who attend the area school and we are helping each other with our languages.

Jim was to start school this past Mon. but he was unable to attend because he needed to stay close to the toilet for a few days which of course is what the whole family expected of me!! He is better now in fact last night we went to a spinning class which the girls would have loved to see. Jim, myself and ten Ethiopian guys biking and rocking to "you gotta move it move it." We had a blast and hope to go again.

The Ethiopian food seems to agree with me and we have a great cook and her name is Alum. I'm trying hard with the language but it is very difficult and it is amazing how well I can communicate with those who don't speak English, can you imagine that--me being at a loss for words?? It is noon time here and I just returned for lunch after spending the morning at the hospital and meeting with the Social Worker there and I am very excited to work with him and think I have found my nitch. I am going to be doing outreach work and will be going into the homes and doing follow-up work with those who are discharged and finding homes for those who have none. I am very excited for this opportunity and hope that I can be of some help. Those who come to this hospital are very poor and basically have no means to pay. We will also be teaching birth control, sanitation and nutrition.

This afternoon I am going to the care center to play with the children and to bring them some books and Monday I will begin with the outreach program which by the way I have not yet told my boss about but it is something I really want to do and there is a great need for it and what can they do?? fire me?

That is it for now but I will write about my first day in the field soon.

Love, Nana

PS, Sher we have not had much luck notifying Fish so I will email Tony to see it I can reach him by email. Girls, Boppa and I are making arrangements"


So - this email seems to have cut off mid-sentence. Any guesses on what she was trying to say at the end?

Girls, Boppa and I are making arrangements to...

....renew our vows

....stay here forever

....invent a diaper for travelers

....adopt a child (a boy!)

....get rid of our king bed at home because we're loving this double bed

3 comments:

  1. Sher~ I'm chuckling out loud at your comments at the end! Too funny! Are you David Letterman's long lost daughter? I'm starting to think so... loved your mom's email. Wow~ it makes me feel like going somewhere and giving of my time in the future. It is really encouraging. Thanks for starting this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love that your mom is going to be doing outreach work starting monday. something that she hasn't told her boss yet!! Yeah, she's your mom all right! Your parents are hysterical.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'm sure its the bed they're loving most.

    ReplyDelete