This is a building going up next to their guest house

White people dancing at Ethiopian Epiphany Celebration - yikes!

Drummer at Ethiopian Epiphany

Little sweety with sugar cane

This one was titled "Shmuggly and Arogeet at the Epiphany". I have no idea.

Sharing his hat

Classroom floor - not sure if this is Dad's school. Hey, we're lucky to get photos even if the explanations are confusing!!

I talked to my parents through Skype (video conferencing) on Saturday and by phone yesterday. They are doing well and having lots of fun. On Saturday night they went out to dinner with Yulemwork and Belaye to a place with Ethiopian dancing. They sat outside and had Doro Wat (chicken stew with hot berbere sauce).
As you read previously, my mother lost her passport. The good news is that she only lost it for a few hours. She had hid it in her room and forgot where she hid it. You can imagine her frantic searching.....
They spent Sunday at the orphanage where Hana lived. It is in a new location and they loved it! They played soccer with the kids and didn't want to leave. My Dad hopes to volunteer there on a regular basis if he can figure out his schedule at the school. Speaking of the school, I guess the bureaucracy is due to heavy government mandates. Rote memorization is the preferred method..... You can imagine my Dad - mr. anti-rigid - with these parameters....
The weather is beautiful. Sunny and 80 with cool nights. My dad says he is a little affected by the high altitude (8000 ft) - a bit short of breath. His heart is also doing some funny stuff, but what can you do?? Hopefully, his defibrillator will kick in if it needs to. Right, Medtronic??

Addis Ababa Time
oh my gosh, real pictures yay! I just caught up on all the posts. Your parents are amazing. I just love their attitudes and the emails crack me up. Please ask your mom to clarify what was crawling up her leg. I think I might die laughing.
ReplyDeleteLoving the updates.
Charlotte
I'm so glad I've met your parents irl - makes these posts even better just to imagine them!
ReplyDelete