This morning I was laying in bed and heard fast footsteps running toward my room. Harper (9 years old) arrived at my bedside and yelled "Mom! Mom! Nana and Boppa sent you an email and it has a swear word in it, a REALLY bad one!" I don't know what was more disturbing, that she had just read a swear word ("a really bad one!") or that she was reading my email and surfing the internet while I was sleeping! I ran downstairs to my computer and here is what I found:
"sher,
we are here internet is slow and I am impatient. We are ddoing well trying to get a phone the guest is supposed to get wifi next week. Karen is working today sturday. sheis feeling good about her job. Me - had a meeting yesterday with Jo. Basicall she said observe evaluate and help out as you see fit. So much for job descriptions. We have aroom with bath hot water when we have water. I'm still operating on geezer timne and with the time change I had 7 hours sleep in 3 days. I feel good though. It took me an hour of fucking around to get to mail. Anyway we are ok and will contact you when we get a phone."Later today, while I was out of town, Rick and the girls spoke to my parents by phone. They reported that all is well. The time difference is 9 hours, so they had just returned from an evening at a traditional Ethiopian restaurant with great food and traditional dancing. They spent some time at the CHSFS care center and saw pictures of Massy (our 6 year old adopted from there in 2005) and Harper displayed on the wall. The staff didn't believe them when they said "Those are our grandchildren!". They have rented a cell phone - I imagine due to the internet frustrations mentioned above. We tried to tell them to type their emails in a word document and then copy them onto an email when they are able to connect, but apparently this was too much to process at this point :) Being technologically challenged is not working in their favor on this adventure.
The Ethiopian Epiphany celebration is on Tuesday and my Dad will begin working at the school after that. I am urging them to send pictures of anything and everything that they have seen so far, but again the internet connection problems may prevent that at this point.

Addis Ababa Time
Tell your dad I think he's a fucking awesome grandpa (-:
ReplyDeleteGreat Steph, now I have to make sure Harper doesn't read the comments! :) Jim Mergens has a way of dragging the conversation to the lowest levels and now he is doing it long distance!
ReplyDeleteSherry
This is hilarious! I'm SOOO excited they're there! Also, happy about you starting this blog for them. I've been wishing you would start a new blog, Sher. Looking forward to reading about their adventures. Yippee!
ReplyDeleteI love that we get to follow the travails of Jim and Karen in Ethiopia. Now tell your dad to quit fucking around with the internet and get on with it because we are waiting here impatiently for updates! Glad they made it there safely, they must be exhausted.
ReplyDeleteSo, the F bomb has been dropped 3 times in only the 2nd post of this blog! I think we may have just lost most of our senior readership! This is a riot, as my parents can't access blogger from Ethiopia and have no idea how low their new blog has actually gone.
ReplyDeleteI know several folks who have gone south for the winter (Arizona) and now think how cool is it for retired folk to go somewhere warm but also do good by volunteering their time in a 3rd world country. My word, your parents are cutting edge. I hope they set a new trend. Way too cool on their part. Seriously. I want to follow in their footsteps someday. Without the swearing, mind you. Tee hee.
ReplyDelete