Sunday, January 24, 2010

Words from my Father

Therefore, you may wish to skip certain parts.

Friday:

"Sher, I just typed 2 pages about Elsae coming then someh it disappeared. I am at the paridise (cafe) and getting wifi signal. The dial p unit I got yesterday doesn't work. I have 20 pages of journal written and am trying to grt it all into a document but shit like my first email to you happens so who knows. I sent my inr results to the clinic but nor reply. Could you call and ask for coumadin clinic and then tracy. The level was 4.5 and I made some adjustments but who knows. I can here it now - he is a real pain in the ass. Will Elsae be here for more than one day? I'll be in school till 5. I'm goig to quit befor this f er dumps me. We are doing well.
Jim Mergens"

My reply:

"Dad - just attach the whole journal. Open a new email document, address it to me and then click "attach". Same as attaching a picture - a window will open telling you whats on the desktop and you can click journal and attach it to the email. Just send the thing! I'll call the clinic when they open.
Sher"

He replies:

"Sher, the journal is hand written so I have to type it into the document first which takes awhile . I will send it in pieces as I get them done. There is a lot going on here and alot of it is great fun but the bureacracy is beyond belief. More later."

and again:

"Sher, I'll buy a bunch of minutes and call you once a week. I know this will sound like bullshit but I don't have time to type mt journal into a document and I will have less time next week so from me - short stuff,
Your loving father."

(what a smart ass)

He stops swearing long enough to send an email to the girls:

"Hi Harper, Hana and Massy,
I am having a good time but I really miss you guys. There are many kids here who remind me daily of how great you are. Have you been to ski school? Is this the second Sunday? Are you being good to your Ma? Don't lie Harper. How is school? I start school on Monday and I am kind of nervous. I have met many of the teachers and they are good folks but you know how you feel when you start something new. It is 8 pm here and Nana and I just got home from the Top View restaurant. We spent part of the Day at the Ethiopian Museum. I hope someday I can take you guys there. I will write you guys after I start school. Oh yeah two other things: I am taking Amharic language lessons and today was the first class. It is hard for an old guy {schugaly} to concentrate for one and a half hours, the other thing Nana lost her passport. More about that later. i relly miss you.
Boppa"

And, one from Nana:

"hi guys,

Just got home from the Top View and had my first shower of the day. Harper,Hana and Massy how are you and are you ready for skiing tomorrow? Did you have a storm today? Hana there are many girls here with your name and it makes me lonesome for you all but this is such a beautiful country and we are enjoying it very much. I am getting used to living with a group but you think it is grand central station at your place but you should see it here!! Ten people, a dog and a cat and a few roaches.

We just heard the phone ringing and dad ran upstairs and I think he missed you. If you get this message please try again or perhaps he is talking to you. I am downstirs on the couch doing this email. I am going torun upstairs and join you all.

Love Nana"

5 comments:

  1. This is so great, thanks for sharing! I love how your Dad signed his first email as Jim Mergens. So formal. ;o) Also, that his journal is hand written. Ha! The emails to the girls were fun to read, too. What an experience they are having!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachelle,

    My Dad is a complete smart alec - he signs his emails like that on purpose, just to be irritating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, in that case, I like your Dad even more now.

    ReplyDelete