I don't know about you, but I don't often receive phone calls at 2:30 a.m. This is 4 hours after my bedtime and half way through my night. I know no one who is awake at this time, so a phone call at 2:30 a.m. is either a) a wrong number, or b) an emergency. So, when the phone in our bedroom rang loud at 2:30 this a.m., Rick and I both bolted out of bed. We were both worried and were both thinking the same thing - there is a guy we love in Ethiopia with a heart condition. When we reached the phone and saw that the phone number was indeed from Ethiopia, my heart sank and I yelled "Shit, shit, shit" while trying to find the talk button in the dark. Honestly, my bags were packed at that moment. I was leaving for Ethiopia today, no doubt. Here is how the conversation went:
Lots of background noise and talking on the other end.
ME: Hello? Hello? Mom?
MOM: Oh, hi.
ME: Hi.
MOM: Did I wake you up?
ME: It's 2:30 in the morning, is everything alright?
MOM: Who is this?
ME: It's your daughter.
MOM: Oh, no. Sher, I'm so sorry, go back to bed.
ME: Is Dad okay, I thought Dad was dead.
MOM: No, no, I didn't mean to call you, go back to bed.
And that was that. Needless to say I didn't sleep much after that. I got an email later that she was trying to call her roommate and hit last number dialed, which was our number. Whoops. As far as nights go, this wasn't one of our best. We had the 2:30 phone call, a kid wet the bed and our least favorite dog took two dumps and a pee in the house. Ugh. At least I'm not leaving for Ethiopia today.
Monday, February 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Addis Ababa Time
I'm sorry for the scare, but the way you tell it is sooo funny! So happy it was just a wrong number and here's to many nights of solid sleep in your near future. Bring on the Ambien. :o)
ReplyDeleteMake that 2 glasses of wine and an Ambien, which is why I never finish the books for book club!
ReplyDelete