Monday, February 15, 2010

Entoto Mountains

Hi everyone,

Today is Sun. and we are once again at our favorite internet restaurant. Actually, the only one that works regularly and with good speed. Yesterday went to Entoto (North side of Addis Ababa) to shop and go up the mountain, about 10,000 ft. At the top is a church and Menelik I's original home. It was all very interesting but nothing compared to the ride up and down the mountain in a minibus at a 15% grade, scary!!! It reminded me of the the trip to Tepic in Mexico. However, the road was full of donkeys and women carrying wood on their backs--streams and streams of women, too many to count, bent over with the weight of the wood. It is something I can't imagine doing even in my younger days. I knew that this occurred but I was speechless by the enormity of the task and the amount of women and how dangerous the job is.

The road is very steep with switchbacks and crowded with animals, women and occasionally a minibus with only it's back preventing it from crashing down the mountain.

There is a shop at the base of the mountain where women who used to carry wood now weave scarves and sell them. I have been to this place before and was aware of this organization. There is a huge room full of looms where the women weave and sell the scarves. Needless to say we all bought several. Also, in Entoto there is a place to purchase jewelry made from coffee beans, the profits of which help HIV positive women survive. After roaming the market area we ended an inspiring day at a Lebanese restaurant where we counted our blessings over much wine and food.

Attached are some pictures of Jim and Jeremy during the four hours they spent at a one year old's birthday party!

Apparently, much liquor is served at birthdays for one year olds....


This may be why much liquor is served - raw meat that you cut yourself


Even a guy who hasn't drank in over 20 years might need a pull before eating off the carcass


Yes, I think several drinks are necessary


I think this is the birthday baby






4 comments:

  1. I don't want any more lip outta you about gory pictures on my blog

    (-:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I didn't KILL the thing hanging there - I just post the pics that I'm sent :) UGH - I would have died at that party. Kind of like when the care center in ET slaughtered a goat for us when we were adopting Massy. I saw the goat wandering around the compound and thought - oh cute, petting zoo - and then later on I heard a WHACK outside the window...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha, I'm chuckling at this post from good ol' Jim. He is too funny. Also, kind of cringing at that raw rare meat. Ewwww, that pic just might make me lean your way, Sher... That photo of he and ? looking at each other (3rd from the bottom) cracks me up. I don't know why, just does. Jim is WAY too cool. Didn't realize. It's no wonder I like you so much. Great genes. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness. Glad I'm reading this at 7:00am with only coffee in my stomach. Katie just looked over my shoulder and said "eewww". Seriously that meat is very gross. I would also like it to be noted for the record that John and I have served alcohol at every birthday party for our kids. I probably would have had a great time at that party as long as I stayed away from the meat!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete