Hi everyone,
I do not fall asleep nor wake up thinking of home first thing anymore. Instead I'm thinking of what new adventures the day will bring. Unlike Jim, who travels through the city by minibus to work I walk and have some great experiences too like talking to the school children who bring me their English lessons each day to correct. They want to know how many children I have, what kind of foods do I eat and do I live close?
Two days a week I walk about 45min to a local hospital through crowds of interesting people, animals, road construction. I am beginning to recognize many folks and we stop and great one another with hugs and kisses. Kris you would have a hard time with the embracing here as it is totally not Norwegian!!! If we should talk for sometime and I arrive at my destination somewhat late and am asked "What happened ?" "Where have you been?" because they worry about me walking alone. But I say sorry "ye hone" which means "ohh someplace " and they respond "is good, you met a friend and spent time with them which is a good thing and far better than being punctual".
I remember being at home and complaining when things got a bit too loud in the neighborhood and now the noise of the big city seems to energize me! I love everything about it except perhaps the dense diesel atmosphere.The communities and homes I visit are sad beyond belief but the folks are happy to see me and share whatever they might have. Yesterday I visited a young mother who lives in 8 by 8 home with her two sons 1 and 4. The 4 year old wants to go to school but needs to stay home with his brother so his mother can search for work. Last time I was there, he had a surprise for me and pulled a ragged poster of the Amharic and English alphabet out from under his bed. His bed is a blanket on the floor next to his mother's mattress.
By sharp contrast, the social workers that are in the office that I go to when I am not doing outreach look like super models. They are gorgeous girls and dress beautifully including 5 inch heels!! I can't believe how they do it!! I barely make it around with my crocs, tennis and orthos.
We are planning on some side trips an will update you on those.
Friday, February 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Addis Ababa Time
This was sooo interesting! I can't imagine the scenerios your mom is facing. A four year old staying home to watch a one year old so the mom can search for work?? Ugh. This is very eye opening and a good reminder of how other cultures live.
ReplyDelete